Solid Waste

At the request of a resident, the solid waste division will schedule a special pickup appointment for the collection of bulk materials such as discarded appliances (“white goods”) or large items of furniture. The required charges for this service are in addition to the standard monthly fee. For more information regarding Solid Waste, please call (404) 270-7140.

  1. New Year’s Eve (1/2 day when New Year’s Day is on a Tuesday-Friday, the City will close at Noon)
  2. New Year’s Day
  3. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
  4. Memorial Day
  5. Independence Day
  6. Labor Day
  7. Thanksgiving Day
  8. The Day after Thanksgiving
  9. Christmas Eve (when Christmas is on a Tuesday-Friday workday)
  10. Christmas Day

When in Doubt, Put it Out!

Available options for a ”No Charge” Pickup if the Yard Trimmings are placed in the following:
  • Cardboard Box – not to exceed 50 lbs. per box
  • Cut to Ordinance Length – no longer 5 ft. length and no wider than 5 in. diameter
  • Paper Leaf Bags – not to exceed 50 lbs. per bag
  • Plastic Garbage Container – not to exceed 35 gal per container

Yard trimmings is defined as leaves, brush, grass, weeds, shrub and tree pruning no longer than five (5) feet in length or more than five (5) inches in diameter, Christmas trees, and vegetative residuals and matter resulting from landscaping development and maintenance other than mining, agricultural and silvicultural operations. (Ord. No. 023-13, 8-19-13)

Yard trimmings shall not be placed in a plastic bag but, shall be placed in water tight paper bags or cardboard boxes which, when full, do not exceed fifty (50) pounds. [Yard Debris can also be placed in a 35 gal plastic garbage container and collected at no charge]

Solid waste and yard trimmings shall be separated and placed on curbside in front of residence or business, or other place designated by the sanitation department of the city, no earlier than 5:00 p.m. of the day prior to the schedule pickup. Tree trimming from the yard would be considered “bulk pickup” with a fee if a request for removal is made by the resident or a violation has been issued.