Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit an open records request?
  1. Go to
  2. Go to “Payments & Forms“, then click on “Applications & Forms
  3. Go to “City Clerk’s Office“, then click on “Open Records Request
What are the notary hours?

Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM

What is the notary fee?


What is the phone number to the Court Clerk?

(404) 559-6265

What are the responsibilities of the City Manager?

The City Manager serves as the chief executive and administrative officer of the city. He oversees the development of the annual operating and capital budget; supervises department directors; supports and implements Council policies; and manages the day-to-day operations of the city.

How do I obtain a copy of a disposition?

Complete a Request For Disposition form in the Clerk’s Office. Requests may take up to three (3) business days to complete, and there is a $2 fee for certified copies.

How do I find out the fine amount for my traffic citation?

Approximately 7-10 business days after you receive your citation(s), you may obtain your fine amount by calling the Court Services Department at (404)559-6250 or by utilizing our automated IVR service at 1-844-847-1745. Fine amounts may also be obtained online at Please note there are instances in which a court appearance is required, and fine amounts cannot be determined by court personnel. If so, you will be informed by the Clerk, and/or your citation will be marked accordingly.

What happens if I do not appear in court?

If you fail to appear in court, a contempt fee of $200 will be added to your case. In addition, your driver’s license may be suspended, or a warrant issued for your arrest. You will also be required to pay the full amount of your citation(s) along with the contempt fee before any warrants or suspension will be recalled.

Is appearing in court a requirement?

Some cases require a court appearance, but most offenses do not. If your citation is marked “Must Appear” then you are required to appear in court and will not be able to pay fines in advance and/or online.

I have received multiple citations, can some be paid and I go to court for the others?

No. All cases occurring from the same incident must be addressed together. You may come to court and address each citation before the presiding judge.

How can I pay my ticket and or fine?

For your convenience, there are several methods of payment that can be used to pay your citation (s) prior to your court date:

Methods of Payment

  • Online Bill Pay at
  • Automated IVR Service by dialing +1 (844) 847-1745
  • Payments are accepted in person between the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM at the East Point Municipal Court located at 2727 East Point Street
  • Mail payments to East Point Municipal Court, 2727 East Point Street, East Point, Georgia 30344. Please note that we do not accept checks. Acceptable forms of payment are cash or money order. DO NOT MAIL CASH. The City is not responsible for any cash lost in the mail.

*Please note that paying by mail or online may result in points being assessed to your driver’s history.

*Please note that there is a 4% service fee charged by a third-party company, Government Window LLC., to cover the cost of the secure and convenient payment service accepting all major debit and credit cards online, in person and by phone.

I have a warrant for my arrest, what should I do?

Come to the East Point Police Department and speak to an Officer.

What can I expect when I appear in court on my scheduled date and time?

Your Arraignment (first appearance) date is provided by the police officer or jailor. The Judge will make extensive announcements concerning your rights, and what to expect during your first appearance. It is highly recommended that you attend and listen closely to the Judge’s announcement. At that time, you may plead guilty and pay your fine(s), or have an opportunity to speak with the City Solicitor to discuss your case. If you plead not guilty, your case will not be tried on this day. However, you will be given a new court date for your trial at which time the police officer will be present.

How should I dress?

You should dress appropriately for court (no tank/halter tops, muscle shirts, shorts, ragged clothing, etc.). Please see the dress code located in the “Basic Rules of Conduct.”

Does the court accept checks?

No, East Point Municipal Court only accepts the following methods of payment:

  • Cash (in person only), money order, cashier’s check, and all major debit and credit cards

*Please note that there is a 4% service fee charged by a third-party company, Government Window, LLC, to cover the cost of the secure and convenient payment service accepting all major debit and credit cards online, in person and by phone.

How do I re-set my case?

In order to have your case re-set, you must appear in court and speak to the Judge or Solicitor. No Exceptions!

Can I negotiate a plea?

Yes, this may be accomplished by requesting a pre-trial after the Judge calls your name, during your arraignment hearing, and speaking to a Solicitor.

What are my plea options?

The information below is NOT legal advice as you have many rights available to you.

  • Plea of Guilty: An admission of guilt. Depending on the offense, this plea may apply points to your driver’s history or have other adverse effects.
  • Plea of Not Guilty: By pleading not guilty, you may request a bench trial, or if applicable, you may request your case be bound over to Fulton County for a jury trial.
  • Plea of Nolo Contendere: (Often known as Nolo or No Contest): This plea is only available once every five (5) years and is discretionary. This plea requires your appearance in court.
What if I miss my court date?

If you fail to appear for court and have not paid your fine prior to your court date, you will be subject to serious penalties including suspension of driver’s license, by the Department of Drive Services, and the court may issue a warrant for your arrest. To avoid arrest and license suspension, you may be required to post a cash bond (amount of the fine) plus an additional $200 penalty for failure to appear in court. You will then be given a new court date. However, should you decide not to come to court or you are found guilty as charged, the bond you paid will be forfeited and the case will be closed.

What if I don’t appear at my hearing or pay my fine?

If you fail to appear for court and do not pay your fine before you’re scheduled court date, you will be subjected to serious penalties. Your privilege (license) to drive will be suspended and the court will issue a warrant for your arrest.

Can I always just pay the fine no matter what the charge?

No. Certain charges require a court appearance and carry a fine that is Judge-imposed. Please reference the list of most common charges that require a court appearance.

Will the court appoint an attorney to represent me?

If you are indigent and meet the requirements, the court may appoint an attorney to represent you. However, the court requires completion and submittal of an application and financial statement, and a decision will be made upon review of the required documents. An application may be requested when you appear for your arraignment or it may be picked up at the Court Services Office. There is a $50.00 non-refundable application fee.

How can I speak to the detective/investigator assigned to my case?

Call (404) 559-6226 and your call will be directed to the appropriate person.

Which offenses require a Municipal Court appearance to resolve, and cannot be paid online?
  • Aggressive driving
  • All city nuisance/code enforcement offenses
  • All under 21 offenses (Anyone between the ages of 17-20 are encouraged to bring a parent)
  • All accident offenses (unless proof of claim shown)
  • All alcohol offenses (except Open Container)
  • Any other charge that may result in jail time and/or license suspension
  • Attempt to elude an officer
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Furnishing alcohol to a minor
  • DUI (Driving Under the Influence)
  • Hit & Run
  • Habitual violator offense
  • No insurance
  • No license
  • Passing a loading/unloading school bus
  • Possession of alcohol by a minor
  • Possession of a concealed weapon
  • Racing
  • Reckless driving
  • Shoplifting
  • Speeding more than 30 MPH over posted speed limit
  • Driving with suspended registration
  • Driving with suspended license
  • Vehicular homicide/serious injury
  • VGCSA (Violation of Georgia Controlled Substance Act)
Are there any exceptions to disconnecting service?

The following circumstances will delay the disconnection of utility services:

When the forecast temperature is below 32°F for a 24-hour period beginning at 8:00 a.m. on the date of the scheduled service disconnection.

If prior to 8:00 a.m. on the date of the scheduled disconnection, a Heat Advisory or Excessive Heat Warning is in effect or is forecasted to be in effect by the National Weather Service.

Serious Illness:
If a serious illness will be aggravated by the disconnection then the customer should notify Customer Care or the East Point Fire Department of this condition in writing and provide a written statement from a physician.

Disconnection for Multi-Family Dwellings:
The Department of Planning and Community Development is required to provide at least two (2) days written notice prior to any proposed utility disconnection to tenants of multi-family dwellings where the landlord is responsible for payment of utility services posted conspicuously on the premises when personal service cannot be made.

Can I make payment arrangements?

A payment plan may be granted every six (6) months at the discretion of Customer Care and if there is not an existing payment plan in place. A payment arrangement may be granted up to three (3) times a year.

Can I pay my bill by phone, or via the Interactive Voice Recorder (IVR)?

Yes, only if your account is current.

Can I pay online to re-establish my service?

No, you must visit the Customer Care Department to re-establish service. Upon receipt, service will be restored before the next business day.

Can service be reconnected after hours?

No, payments for reconnections are only accepted during our normal business hours of Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

How do I establish new residential utility service?

Applicants must apply in person and provide the required documents. A deposit is required at the time of application, which may vary based on the customer’s credit score, as determined by a credit check.

Is budget billing offered?

Yes, budget billing is an option for customers in good standing, and this program offers a set payment amount each month.

What are the reasons why my utility services would be disconnected?

Listed below are several reasons why utility services can be disconnected:

  • Failure to pay a bill within 45 days from the statement date.
  • Upon customer request.
  • When service to the customer constitutes an immediate hazard to persons or property.
  • By order of the court, or any other authorized public agency.
What happens if I become delinquent on my bill while on the budget billing program?

An account that becomes delinquent, while on the budget billing program, will be removed.

What if I believe my utility services have been disconnected in error?

Notify the Customer Care Department, as soon as possible, so the situation can be rectified if your utility services have been disconnected in error.

When is open enrollment for budget billing?

Open enrollment for budget billing is year-round.

Will having financial difficulties or medical needs requiring use of equipment at home prevent my service from being interrupted?

No, if a bill is not paid then services will be interrupted regardless of financial or medical situations. However, consideration is given to temporarily delayed service interruption for certain qualifying life support equipment and customers who are experiencing a hardship.

Does the City of East Point provide business incentives for companies wishing to locate to the City?

Yes. The Department of Economic Development offers a variety of business incentives aimed at attracting business investment and stimulating job creation. Check out some of the advantages of locating a business here in East Point at:

Does the City of East Point offer programs that assist small business?

Yes. In 2016, the Department of Economic Development launched the Small Business Incentive Program designed to help small businesses and entrepreneurs lower the cost of doing business. The incentives target companies with 9 employees or less. The incentives attract small business to the City and spur existing business growth within the City. In addition, the City hosts a number of events throughout the year to help promote small business success.

How do I find information about available properties (land and buildings) in East Point?

Contact the City’s Department of Economic Development at: or call (404) 270-7057 and speak to a representative.

Does the City have properties for sale?

No, the City does not have property available for sale.

How do I get my property listed for future film/movie opportunities?

You can list your home, business or property at the Georgia Film Office website: To be considered, you can send digital photos by using the department’s location submission form. They’ll review your photos and, if approved, your property will be added to the State’s location photo database. All locations are placed in a secure, password-protected database (Reel-Scout) and sent to the State’s clients upon request.

Where can I get a building permit?

Building Permits can be obtained in the Planning & Community Development Department, located at: City Hall: 2757 East Point Street, East Point, GA 30344.

Are there any HUB Zones, Opportunity Zones or Enterprise Zones in East Point?

Yes. The City has HUB Zones, Opportunity Zones and Enterprise Zones. For more information, please contact the Department of Economic Development at (404) 270-7057.

How can I do business with the City of East Point?

In order to do business with the City, one must first become a vendor by registering his/her business on the vendors list. For more information, reach out to the City’s Contract and Procurement Department at (404) 270-7824.

Does the City offer grants to small business start-ups?

No. The City does not offer grants to business start-ups or business locations, but does offer business incentives to help businesses succeed. For more information, please contact the Department of Economic Development at: (404) 270-7057.

Where do I go to get a business license?

Business Licenses are available thru the Planning & Community Development Department at: Jefferson Station, 2757 East Point Street, East Point, Georgia 30344.

How can I get enrolled to receive the Community E-Newsletter?

You can enroll to receive an electronic version of the Community E-Newsletter each month by going to:

What festivals and events are going on in the Downtown District?

To find out about events and festivals that are going on in the Downtown District, please visit or

What should I do if I see a Fire Truck or Emergency Vehicle approaching while driving?

Remain calm. Turn on your signal, and safely pull to the right. Remember that a Fire Truck cannot stop as quickly as your vehicle. Avoid making sudden movements.

Is a fee associated with dialing 911 for a medical emergency?

There is no cost for services received from the Fire Department. These services are funded from the tax base of the City of East Point. If you or a family member are transported to a medical facility, the private transport provider will charge for services.

What is the leading cause of fires in the home?

The leading cause of fires in the home are improper usage of portable heaters and candles, storage of opened gas cans near the hot water heater, unattended fireplaces and smoking in bed. During the holiday season, another cause of fires are unattended Christmas trees.

How do I know if my home is free of fire hazards?

Call the Fire Department at (404) 559-6401 to schedule a free home inspection.

How do I obtain a Fire Report?

To obtain a Fire Report, contact the Fire Prevention Division at (404) 559-6401. A State approved ID and proof of residency will be required to receive the report. The report can be picked up at 2727 East Point Street, East Point, Ga 30344 in the Law Enforcement Center.

Can I burn leaves, trash, or debris?

No. There is a year-round ban within the City limits of East Point.

Where can I get information on installation or inspection of a child safety seat?

Contact our Administrative Office at (404) 559- 6401. There are certain qualifications that must be met.

Does the Fire Department offer CPR classes?

Yes. To schedule, contact our Training Division at (404) 559- 6401.

Where can I get my blood pressure checked?

Blood pressure checks are available at any of our Fire Station Locations.

Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy to start my business, and how do I schedule to acquire one?

Yes. A Certificate of Occupancy is required to start a business. To schedule, contact the City’s Department of Planning and Community Development at (404) 270-7030. Inspections are conducted every Tuesday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.

What are some of the things that are looked for when performing a Certificate of Occupancy Inspection?

An inspector is looking to make certain that all means of egress (Exists from a room and building) are clear and to make sure that all required and proper fire protections are in place. In addition, inspectors check to make certain that all fire protection systems and equipment have been tested by a certified company.

Why is my business inspected annually?

Business inspections are conducted annually to make certain a business is free of possible fire hazards.

How many fire extinguishers are required for a business?

Extinguisher placement is determined by the hazards in the building.

How much clearance is needed around a hot water heater?

The Fire Code requires at least a three (3) foot clearance.

How many exits are required for a business?

The Fire Code determines the number of exits based upon square feet of the business and the occupancy type.

Do I need a sprinkler and an alarm system?

The Fire Code determines the need for sprinklers and alarms based on the occupancy type and if the business is new or existing.

Do I need emergency lights?

The Fire Code determines the need for emergency lights by occupancy type, and if the business is new or existing.

What Public Education programs are offered?

Please visit our Community Programs page for a comprehensive list of our offerings.

How can I get a smoke or carbon monoxide detector?

Residents of the City of East Point can call (404) 559-6401 to schedule an appointment for the installation of either detector.

How do I report a leaking fire hydrant?

Call the Customer Care Department at (404) 270-7010.

My animal is stuck in a tree. Will the Fire Department come get it out?

No. Try leaving some food at the bottom of the tree and wait for the animal to come down on its own.

Do I get paid when I attend the Police Academy?

As soon as you are hired by the East Point Police Department and complete processing, you are paid as a Police Officer 1 which is the rate for newly hired officers with no prior Georgia Law Enforcement experience.

Are there any age restrictions to join the East Point Police Department?

There are no age restrictions, however you must be 21-years-old to apply to become an officer with the East Point Police Department.

How does the pay compare with other agencies?

We have a very competitive pay scale to other agencies within the Metropolitan area. The City of East Point additionally pays $2,500.00 for officers with a Bachelor of Science Degree and $1,500.00 for officers with an Applied Associates Degree.

How do I apply?

Please submit your application online through the City’s website, Someone from the City of East Point Police Department’s Background and Recruitment Unit will contact you further about arranging an interview and starting your background process.

What is the non-emergency number for the Police Department?

The non-emergency number is (404) 761-2177.

Code Enforcement

What are the most common Code of Ordinances violated in the City of East Point?

Section 10-2033: “Junked Motor Vehicle” shall mean any vehicle which is without current registration, without current license tag, or which is one or more of the following:

  • Wrecked
  • Dismantled
  • Partially dismantled
  • Inoperative

Section 7-7003 (b): It shall be unlawful to place an automotive vehicle, boat, or trailer, motor coach, camper or similar type vehicle on a front, side or rear yard.

Section 7-2005: No debris resulting from repairs, remodeling or construction will be moved by the city, but must be disposed of by the contractor, owner of the property or other person having such work done.

Section 7-2002: All garbage must be deposited in plastic bags securely tied with appropriate closure strips so that the contents thereof do not spill and placed in city issued plastic cans designed for garbage disposal.

Section 7-2003: Garbage cans shall be removed from the curbside no later than 8:00 p.m. on the day of the scheduled pickup.

Section 7-7003: It shall be unlawful for the occupant of premises or the owner of premises to have or to place any of the following on said premises to the extent and in a manner that could threaten or endanger the public health, safety, or welfare or could adversely affect and impair the economic value of adjacent property.

  1. Any accumulation of litter, debris, garbage, dead trees, excessive leaf accumulation or animal excrement on any front, side or rear yard or any porch, or underneath any building or in any accessory building.
  2. Any object or objects on the front yard or on a front porch of residential, commercial, or industrial.
  3. Any object or objects on the side or rear yards, or on side or rear porches or underneath any building or in any accessory building unless such objects are completely enclosed within a building or are enclosed with a solid fence of such height that the objects are completely screened from the view of persons or adjacent property and to passers-by on public rights-of-way.
  4. Any grass or weeds of a height of six (6) inches or more or any unkept vegetation in any front, side or rear yard.

Section 7-3055: Within the corporate limits of East Point it shall be unlawful for the owner or any other person having custody of any dog or other canine animal, to allow or permit such dog to go off the premises of the owner or such other person having custody of the animal unless such animal shall be securely under leash by the owner or some other competent person.

Standard Building Code

Section 10-3001: Any owner, authorized agent or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit for the work.

What is a budget amendment?

A budget amendment is an ordinance adopted by the City Council which alters the adopted budget by appropriating additional monies to a particular department, decreasing appropriations to a particular department, or transferring funds from one department to another.

What is a budget appropriation?

A budget appropriation is a specific amount of money that has been approved by the City Council for use in a particular manner.

What is a capital improvement budget?

A capital improvement budget is both a short and long-range plan for the construction of physical assets, such as buildings, streets, sewers, as well as vehicles and equipment.

What is a fiscal year?

A fiscal year is a 12-month operating cycle that comprises a budget and financial reporting period. The City’s fiscal year begins on July 1st and ends on June 30th.

What is a millage rate?

When the City adopts its annual budget, it determines the tax rate that must be applied on property in order to generate the necessary revenue in addition to all other sources that are available. The adopted tax rate for the City of East Point for the 2014 tax year is 15.00 mills, or $15.00 per $1,000 of taxable value. The Fulton County Tax Assessor establishes the taxable value of all property in the City. The City has no control over the taxable value of property; it only has control over the tax rate that is levied.

What is a mill of tax?

One mill is equal to $1 for each $1,000 of assessed property value. Property taxes on a $100,000 home to which the $2,000 homestead exemption is applied would be, with a millage rate of 15.00 mills, $570.00.

What is an enterprise fund?

An enterprise fund earns its own revenues by charging customers for the services that it provides. It receives no tax funds.

What is an operating budget?

An operating budget is an annual financial plan for recurring expenditures, such as salaries, utilities, and supplies.

What is the different between Ad Valorem Tax and Property Tax?

There is no difference. They are different names for the same tax.

What is the purpose of the City Budget?

The budget is an annual financial plan for the City of East Point. It specifies the level of municipal services to be provided in the coming year and the resources, including personnel positions, capital expenditures and operating expenses needed to provide these services. It reflects the policies and priorities set by the Mayor and City Council.

Can I submit a paper application instead of the online application if I don’t have access to the Internet?

No, only online applications are accepted.

Can I submit a resume to the City of East Point even if I am not applying for a position?

Resumes submitted without being attached to a job application for an advertised job are discarded and not kept on file.

Once I apply for employment, how long will it be before someone contacts me?

The response time varies by department and is dependent upon how many applications we receive for the job opening and the time it takes to review them. Only applicants who are selected to interview will be contacted.

What should I do if I am injured on City of East Point property?

If you are injured on City of East Point property you should contact the East Point City Clerk’s Office located at 2757 East Point Street, East Point, Georgia 30344.

What should I do if I am involved in an accident with a City of East Point vehicle or equipment?

Call the police and obtain the name of the City’s driver, driver’s telephone number and the name of the department in which the employee works. Contact the East Point City Clerk’s Office located at 1526 East Forrest Avenue, Suite 400, East Point, Georgia 30344 to obtain a “Report and Proof of Claim” form. The City Clerk will forward the Notice of Proof form to the Law Department and a representative from the Law Department and/or the City’s Third-Party Claims Administrator will contact you regarding your injuries, if any, and/or property damage.

What are the various ways in which the City of East Point communicates emergencies and non-emergencies to its residents?

CodeRed: The City of East Point in association with the Emergency Communications Network, has established a high-speed notification system that can alert residents through phone of immediate or pending dangers or threats. The system is CodeRed, and it is designed to accurately and reliably deliver critical information that is essential for life safety.  For non-emergencies, CodeRed will be used between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. For emergencies, the hours may vary depending on when emergencies occur in the City. The system is also used by the National Weather Service to alert residents of dangerous weather conditions. To register your phone number for weather warnings through CodeRed, visit the City’s website, and click on the CodeRed tab. (hyperlink to CodeRed page)

Access East Point App: The City’s “Access East Point App” gives residents the opportunity to report non-emergency issues to the City. This app provides quick, easy, and convenient access to the City of East Point on the go. Users can report potholes, graffiti, damaged street signs, code violations and more with this app utilizing SeeClickFix Technology. By registering your email address, residents can receive notifications on emergencies and events from the City. Go to your app store to download this free app.

EPTV 22: EPTV 22 is the City’s Municipal Access Cable Channel. This channel provides viewers full coverage of City Council Meetings, Planning & Zoning Meetings, as well as broadcasting informative programs and vital information. Videos on EPTV 22 can also be seen on our Facebook Page, website, and YouTube channel.VERGE: VERGE is the City’s monthly newsletter to keep residents informed about events, new projects, and accomplishments in the City. The newsletter is inserted into residents’ utility bills and can also be found on the website under the Newsroom tab.

City’s Website: All information regarding the City and its departments can be found on the City’s website,

Social Media: Follow us on our Social Media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat) @cityofeastpoint

Where is the Parks & Recreation Department Located?

1431 Norman Berry Drive, East Point, GA 30344.

What are your hours of operation?

Administrative Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

What is the phone number to the Parks and Recreation Office?

(404) 270-7048

Do you provide transportation to your programs?

Limited transportation may be provided for tournaments and/or for select field trips associated with programs.

Do you provide funding for income-challenged program participants?

In certain cases, scholarships may be issued to qualified residents. Arrangements must be made prior to the deadline of the activity.

Do you accept credit cards and checks?

Payments may be made by cash, money order or credit card.

Can I rent a recreation facility or park?

Recreation center, park or pavilion requests can be facilitated at Jefferson Park Recreation Center, the Administrative Office.

How does a participant register for a program?

Registration for programs can be facilitated at Jefferson Park Recreation Center and the Administrative Office or online at


Do I need a building permit to re-wire a house?

Yes, more than likely, when holes are made in the drywall and wall studs, ceiling and floor joist, it must be inspected for over notching and boring as well as the insulation must be inspected per the 2012 IECC code for energy compliance.

When can I hang drywall?

Drywall should not be installed until after rough plumbing, electrical, mechanical, rough framing and insulation has been approved. Do not cover before inspections are approved.

When can I install roof shingles?

After first obtaining a roofing permit and requesting a felt, flashing and drip edge inspection. Note: This type of permit does not include repairing and replacing wood roof decking, fascia boards and wood trim.

What is the status of my inspection?

An inspection card is given to the owner/agent when permitted and is required to be posted on-site along with the plans and the permit. This is our correspondence to the owner/agent that his/her inspection was approved when permit card is signed. A field inspection report is left on-site when inspections are denied. If any of the above three, plans, permit and inspection card, are not on-site, an inspection cannot be made.

What time will the inspector make my inspection?

Inspections are made between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Roof inspections are called in between 7:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. by phone only. Also, we recommend using a lock box to allow entry if no one can be on-site.

Why was a “Stop Work” placed on my project?

A stop work is placed on a site when the project is out of the scope of work permitted. When plumbing, electrical and mechanical work is covered with drywall before the framing and insulation inspection is approved. Hanging siding without requesting a house wrap inspection, also roofing without requesting a felt inspection. Working without a permit: a citation may be issued.

I bought a finished house and cannot get the utilities turned on, what should I do?

It is the responsibility of the buyer to do an open records request with the City Clerk’s Office on the property to be informed of the status and conditions of the project before purchasing the property. Any and all violations/citations will always remain on the property and its current owner if cited by the City of East Point.

How do I get an inspection scheduled?

All inspections are scheduled by means of an “Inspection Request Form” that can be e-mailed or faxed. Requests received before 3:00 p.m. are scheduled for the following day. All requests received after 3:00 p.m. are scheduled the day after the following day. Only roof inspections are taken by telephone between 7:00 a.m. until 8:30 a.m.

If my power is off, how do I get it turned back on?

Visit the Customer Care Department to establish your service. If service has been off more than a year, you must contact the Permits Division office to request a power release inspection. There is a $60.00 fee per address for this permit. Government Identification and payment is required at the time of submittal. If inspection is approved, then a green postcard size power release paper.

Who do I call?

Permits Division:
Brenda White, Permit Manager: (404) 270-7018
Terrance Harris, Permit Coordinator: (404) 270-7021
Tyrell Golden, Assistant Permit Coordinator: (404) 270-7031

Inspection Division:
Santo Bowles, Chief Building Official: (404) 669-4358
Dwight Cobb, Senior Building Inspector: (404) 270-7023
Jay Price, Building Inspector: (404) 270-7024
Timothy Scott, Building Inspector: (404) 270-7019
Fire Marshall: Lieutenant Williams: (404) 559-6412

Planning Division:
Kimberly Smith, Director: (404) 669-4322
Tony Alston, Senior Planner: (404) 669-4333
Albert Trevino, Associate Planner: (404) 270-7211

Customer Care: (404) 270-7010

City Clerk’s Office: (404) 270-7090

Code Enforcement: (404) 559-6270

50 Worst List Properties: (404) 270-7022

Where do I place my leaves when it’s my collection day?

Leaves must be placed in the space behind the curb, and not blocking the sidewalk or in the roadway.

What if the leaves placed out for removal are missed?

Sometimes parked cars in the road can prohibit crews from reaching leaf piles. Residents also may miss pick-up because of leaves raked after the street has been serviced. Pick-up can be scheduled under these circumstances. However, the City will not service a scheduled pick-up request until the entire route has been completed.

Do I have to bag my leaves?

Yes. Bagging is always recommended, and is required from March through September. As a reminder, yard trash (e.g. tree trimmings and twigs) is required to be bagged, bundled and containerized year-round, and should not exceed 50 pounds per bag, bundle or container.

How early should I place my leaves out for collection?

Leaves should be placed by 7:00 a.m. according to your regular sanitation collection.

What is the pick-up schedule during the holidays?

The collection schedule is altered. Leaf pick-up is scheduled the day following a major holiday.

The City observes the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • Fourth of July
  • Labor Day
  • Day Before Thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Day Before Christmas Eve
  • Christmas Eve
  • Christmas Day
How can I find out what day my trash is scheduled to be picked up?

You can contact the City of East Point’s Solid Waste Division at (404) 270-7140.

How can I obtain a recycling bin?

To obtain a recycling bin contact the City of East Point’s Solid Waste Division at (404) 270-7140.

When is pick up for recycled items?

Pickup for recycles are scheduled bi-weekly on the solid waste collection day.

Where can I recycle cardboard, magazines, and plastic bottles?

Citizens who wish to recycle cardboard, magazines, and plastic bottles can do so by taking items to 3125 South Martin Street, to the East Point Transfer Station free of charge Mondays thru Fridays at 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 8:00 a.m. to Noon.

What other items are permitted for recycling? The items permitted for recycling are:
  • Newspapers
  • Aluminum Cans
  • Steel Cans
  • Office Paper
  • Magazines
  • Cardboard
  • Plastic water bottles and jugs
  • Phone Books
Does the Solid Waste Division pick up dead animals?

Yes, dead animals must be placed in a plastic bag at curbside for pick up. You must call the Solid Waste Service Division to schedule pick up.

What services does the City of East Point’s Solid Waste Division provide?
  • Garbage/ Trash pick up
  • Yard Waste Pick up
  • Bulk pick up
  • Recycling
  • Dead Animal Collection
When should my trash container be placed at my curb?

All refuse containers are to be placed curbside on collection day no later than 7:30 a.m. Paper, cans, and other typical household garbage are considered refuse and can be placed in the refuse container. According to the City ordinance, all refuse should be bagged, and placed in the refused container for collection. Please do not park within five feet of refuse containers. Do not place containers in proximity to mailboxes or other structures on collection day.

What items are NOT permitted in my trash container?

The following items are not permitted:

  • Dirt
  • Branches/tree trimming
  • Metals
  • Sod
  • Rock
  • Appliances
  • Furniture
  • Flammable material
  • Oil
  • Gas
  • Paint
  • Concrete
  • Hot ashes/ coals
  • Construction debris
  • Remodeling debris
  • Demolition debris
  • Tires
What restrictions are there for Yard Waste Pick up?
  • Tree trimmings must be no more than 5 feet in length and 5 inches in diameter, and containerized.
  • Grass clippings and leaves must be bagged in brown paper bags, cardboard boxes or containerized in a rubber or metal container no longer than 45 gals, and weigh 50 lbs or less.
  • During leaf vacuum collection season (Oct. 1st thru March 1st) leaves can be placed behind the curb for leaf vacuum collection.
  • Collection of tree trimmings larger than 5 feet in length and 5 inches in diameter per bundle or container will have a minimal cost of $50.00 and $10.00 per cubic yard thereafter.
What items are considered for Bulk Pick up?

Items such as sofas, chairs, tables, desks, mattresses, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, stoves, etc. are considered bulk trash. You must call the Solid Waste Services Division to schedule pick-up.

What restrictions are there for Bulk Pick Up?

Refrigerators must have Freon removed prior to disposal. Lawnmowers must have gasoline and oil removed prior to disposal.

What is the cost for bulk pick up?

The cost for bulk trash collection is $35.00 for the first item, and $10.00 for each additional item.

Where can I drop off Bulk Trash?

Bulk Trash can be dropped off at the East Point Transfer Station, located at 3125 South Martin Street, Free of Charge.

How do I contact the Water & Sewer Department for non-emergencies? You may contact the Water & Sewer Department by the following:
  • Office: (404) 270-7189
  • Fax: (404) 270-7239
  • Email:
How do I contact the Utilities Division when I have a Water or Sewer Emergency or there is a water or sewer leak in our neighborhood?

The utilities division is a 24/7 live unit that responds to all emergencies. You would need to call the Radio Room at (404) 761-2179.

What is a sewer spill?

Sewage spills occur when the wastewater transported in underground pipes overflows from a manhole, broken pipes and or service lateral clean outs. Sewage spills can potentially cause health hazards, cause damage to homes, businesses, threaten the environment, local waterways and beaches.

How do I identify a sewer spill?

Sewage spills can be very noticeable, usually gushing water from a manhole, or a slow water leak that may take time to be noticed. Don’t dismiss wet areas that cannot be accounted for. Be aware of the following:

  • Drains backing up inside the building
  • Wet ground and water leaking around manhole lids on your street
  • Seeping sewage (water) from service lateral clean outs and outside drains
  • Unusual odorous wet areas such as sidewalks, external walls, ground and or landscape around buildings
What about sewer spills on private property?

Each property is connected to the public sewer system by means of a service lateral. The property owner is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the service lateral to the point of connection to the public sewer line. Should a backup or overflow of sewage occur in the service lateral, the property owner or tenant must take immediate steps to clear the obstruction and to stop the discharge of sewer from their property. Allowing sewage to discharge into a gutter, storm drain or onto public property is a violation of State Health, Safety and Water Codes. In the event of a blocked service lateral please contact the City Utilities Divisions at (404) 761-2179. A member of the sewer collection system crew will be dispatched to inspect the public sewer to ensure debris removed from service laterals do not plug the main public sewer line. There are no charges for this service.

What are the most common causes of sewage spills?
  • Grease is the most common cause of pipe blockages
  • Grease builds up and eventually blocks sewer pipes
  • Grease enters the sewer system from household drains and from poorly maintained commercial grease traps and interceptors.
  • Structure problems caused by roots in the sewer lines. Roots enter the sewer line through cracked or broken pipes seeking moisture. Once established, roots continue to grow and expand in the sewer line eventually causing a blockage.
  • Infiltration of groundwater and rainwater into the sanitary sewer system. Infiltration is a result of pipe defects or illegal connections of yard and or roof drains connected to the sewer system. Infiltration surcharges the sewer line exceeding its capacity causing overflows.
  • Maintenance on service laterals. When preventative and or corrective maintenance is performed on your service lateral, debris such as cut root balls or grease are pushed from the service lateral into the public sewer. Once in the public sewer this material tends to obstruct the flow of sewage eventually causing a blockage that can result in an overflow.
  • Roots can have a major impact on sewer lines. If your sewer lateral is close to a tree you need to consider scheduled maintenance to keep the sewer lateral free of roots.
How can sewage spills be prevented?

Sewer spills can potentially cause long term damage to the environment. You can help prevent them by:

  • Never discharging oil or grease down garbage disposals, drains or toilets
  • Perform periodic maintenance on your service lateral
  • Repair structural problems on your service lateral
  • Disconnect illegal connections to your service lateral including yard and roof drains
  • Be selective with landscape planting materials that do not have aggressive root systems

Most importantly, if you are planning to have preventative and or corrective maintenance work done on your service lateral, please contact the Water & Sewer Division at (404) 270-7189. A member of the Sewer Collection System crew will be dispatched to inspect the public sewer to ensure debris removed from service laterals do not block flow in the main public sewer line. The crews have the equipment to remove this debris from the public sewer before it causes a main line blockage. There are no charges for this service.

What are some easy tips to prevent grease blockage?

Grease and oils discharged into the sewer system attach to the walls of pipes and solidifies. With each discharge another layer forms until eventually the flow of water in the pipe is restricted and begins to back up causing an overflow.

By following the tips listed below you are well on your way towards maintaining a healthy service lateral and preventing costly maintenance and cleanup activities resulting from sewer backups caused by grease:

  • Pour spent household cooking oils and grease into containers and dispose with solid waste.
  • Wipe excess oil and grease from cooking pans with paper towel and dispose with solid waste.

Restaurants and Commercial establishments have grease and oil traps or interceptors to keep grease and oils out of sewer pipes. To work correctly this equipment must be:

  • Sized correctly to handle expected amounts of grease.
  • Installed properly per codes.
  • Maintained properly by having them cleaned and serviced regularly.

For additional information, you may contact the Water & Sewer Division, in person, at 1526 E. Forrest Ave. Suite 400 East Point, Ga 30344 or by phone at (404) 270-7189 and ask to speak with someone in the Water & Sewer Division for assistance. Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.