Most fires and accidents occur as a result of human error and involve single-family homes. In order to prevent these disasters from occurring it is imperative that we reach the people who live in these homes. Community based Fire Service Delivery is one of the Fire Chief's top strategic initiatives. The City of East Point Fire Department has 13 Community Programs to reach members of the business sector, residents, churches, schools, neighborhood groups and other community events. Each of these community-based programs has served to help us meet our mission to prevent disastrous incidents from occurring and to minimize damage to life, property, and the environment.
– Fire representatives visit schools in East Point upon request to discuss a career in the Fire Service and requirements to become a Firefighter.
Be Cool About Fire Safety
– An annual event hosted by the East Point Fire Department to educate area students about Fire Prevention. Fire safety is taught through skits, songs, a puppet show and other activities.
Fire Safety House
- A teaching tool used to educate children on dangers within the home, kitchen safety and home escape plans.
Neighborhood Association Meetings
- Firefighters and Officers provide presentations at 100 Neighborhood Association Meetings on fire prevention and safety.
Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Detector Program
– Free smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors are installed upon request.
Home Inspection Program
– A free fire prevention and safety inspection of the home is conducted upon request.
– Firefighters and Officers go door-to-door after a neighborhood fire to offer smoke alarms, inspections and fire prevention information.
Community Deputy Fire Marshal Program
- Residents are trained to handle emergencies until Fire personnel arrive on scene during a major disaster. Curriculum includes CPR, first aid, home escape planning and disaster planning. In addition, participants are provided training on smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and home inspections.
Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Instruction is given on the proper use of an AED.
Fire Station Tours - Several organizations, schools and groups tour Fire Stations to learn fire preventive and safety measures.
Child Safety Seat Installations
- Parents are trained on how to correctly install child safety seats. Free child seats are offered to replace worn and damaged seats as well as those on recall.
- An annual Fire Department event honoring East Point residents, the business community and Firefighters for varied contributions.
Fire Extinguisher Trainer
- East Point residents and businesses are instructed on the proper use of a Fire Extinguisher.
Community Awareness Festival
– Formerly the East Point Fire Department Health Fair, this annual event features free health screenings, information, free food, entertainment and more.